We want creating a ReadMe to be the first thing a developer does when it comes time to create an API. We don't want to just be documentation... we want ReadMe to be the entire UI for APIs.
ReadMe needs to start collecting documentation in the form of semantic metadata, rather than paragraphs of text. Swagger is emerging as the winner, so we'll start with building tooling around that. You should have a love for Swagger in concept, but a healthy wariness for it in practice: Swagger is confusing and tough to get started with, and we need to make it much easier for people to understand and implement.
We want to normalize APIs on the documentation/SDK layer. This means that anyone should be able to write their APIs however they want (API key as a header? sign requests with JWT? be x-www-form-urlencoded?), however all APIs on ReadMe should feel consistent to end users. We'll do this through a combination of things, including generating SDKs and building tooling around authentication.
Lastly, we want to start pushing our own philosophies... which you'll craft. APIs are simple, however people find infinite ways to complicate them. We'll never force anyone to do things a particular way, however going forward we want to start promoting best practices that will make working with ReadMe easier and better.
It's important that you love APIs, but focus on usability and ease-of-use rather than complexity.
- Making our "Try It Now" feature work like a charm in any situation
- Auto-Generating code samples and SDKs in various programming languages
- Allowing people to manage their API keys in ReadMe
- Tackle the issue of authentication... it's confusing, and a huge barrier to entry for APIs
- Work on leveraging what we know about the API and the user to custom-tailor documentation
- Keep up to date with API technologies, and making that simple for everyone to understand and work with
- Writing blog posts and (if you want!) speaking at conferences about APIs
Full-stack Node/JS Developer
We're looking for a product-focused Node/Angular developer to join our team. ReadMe replaces paragraphs of text with custom-tailored developer experiences. The role requires both frontend (Angular) and backend (Express) programming. Having a good sense of product and design is vital.
We're a small startup with a big reach, so you'll be able to have a huge impact. Working at ReadMe means there's a lot to be done, but also autonomy, flexibility, and a clear mandate to tackle big problems.
- owning major feature development. You'll lead the development of things like syncing API references from Github, creating easy onboarding flows, and new integrations.
- helping to build a developer-focused company culture.
- leading technical initiatives that grow and scale ReadMe.
- Building a documentation platform that redefines the way people consume APIs and documentation.
- Passionate about making products people love
- Previous professional experience as a programmer
- You have the ability to take ideas from conception to release
- Your GitHub is full of everything from embarrassing hacks to impressive Open Source contributions
- You stay up to date with the latest web technologies
- Comfortable in Angular/Node
- Understanding that roles are flexible and willing to take on new opportunities as ReadMe grows!
- Experience at early stage startups
- Experience with developer tools
- love of owls!
We're looking for a proven sales leader to join our team as our first sales hire! You'll be working with corporate customers, enterprise customers, and hot startups as their main point of contact. Our customers are often developers or product managers, you must love talking about how we can help build their products and businesses. You'll develop trust and meaningful relationships with our biggest customers.
- work directly with customers via phone, email, and in-person on a daily basis
- be the main point of contact for prospective and current enterprise and corporate customers.
- handle inbound sales and work with customers to develop enterprise plans
- act as a customer advocate
- develop outbound sales strategy and create sales opportunities
- maintain engaged relationships with current customers to develop better solutions
- manage the funnel of opportunities to help prospective users move through the sales cycle
- 3-5 years of technical sales and account management experience (we'll be really excited if it's with SaaS or dev tools)
- comfortable selling to developers and technical buyers
- hands on, high energy, creative problem solver who gets things done
- great communicator with ability to lead others
- willing to work independently within a small team
- understanding that roles are flexible and willing to take on new opportunities as ReadMe grows!
- experience with developer tools
- experience working with/at early stage startups
- love of owls